Monday, April 12, 2010

FOR THE LOVE OF......................





FOOD!
GOD, HOW I LOVE FOOD!
How I pan back on running home from school, and my mother calling me from work. She was in the Realistate business. She worked 3 jobs, as a single mother, to feed, school and love on 5 children. Huge ............. just a huge existence. More for another blog.
So, anyway, she would call me from work, and say, "OK, honey, I took the veal out, it should be thawed". Now I will walk you through how to make Veal Marsala. "Go on, get your pan, she would say". "OK, now, you have your olive oil right, (like it was a given that you start out with olive oil). "OK, got it", I would say.
"OK, now, you drizzle the olive oil in the pan...........meanwhile you get the veal, you put it on the cutting board, and you tenderize it like this............. and she would explain, while on the phone, in between customers.
This was how I learned how to cook, outside of being a little knat tugging at her skirt tail, to show me each and every thing she was doing when it came to cooking.
She was a God, I swear, she was!
That woman could make you any.............anything, (Oh, except Mexican or Indian), she was a traditional Italian girl, who was in love with her culture, the food, the process, the passion, and so incredibly in love with serving people, and not just with food......... if she had one dime left, it was yours...........if she had one T-Shirt left, it was yours............. Truly, truly, an amazing woman with a passion for so many things, yet food was how she made love to the world!
My grandmother was the same way.
As soon as you walked into her house, it reeked of Pecorino Romano cheese. Usually it was for her famous Eggplant Parmesan, but nonetheless, that huge chunk of Pecorino sat on her table, with that cheese grater that looked so seasoned, (meaning, old as all get out.) There was a huge plastic baggie that it was stored in, but no matter what we were eating, that seasoned grater followed us to the table, and there we would sit, grating fresh cheese on every darn thing we ate.
That smell is so specific to me, and is so homey to me. I work with it everyday, smell it, and have such a home feeling..........it's crazy! I love it!!
Between my Grandma (Francesca) and Mom, I learned a plethora of Italian recipes that could fill your kitchen from now until the day you die!
My grandmother had already passed when I had gone to Italy, but when I went, for my 40th birthday, I flew into Rome, and before even getting there, I had chills, that I was going to the place that my ancestors were from.
Both sets of Grandparents were from Italy. They came over on the boat. What an amazing history......one that my brothers have followed up on and have done a genealogy chart to track down where it all began.......... our family, that is.
My stay in Italy was unbelievably poignant!
The mere smell in the air, smelled like Grandma Frances' house............
I don't speak Italian. I was one of those typical American kids that thought it was stupid back then to want to learn from her Grandparent, how to speak another language. I could kick myself so hard in the butt for not being attracted to learning my culture, my language, and being whole in that. I think back and she was all about us learning culture, and the finer things in life. Ugghh!!
I do have to say, though, when I stayed in Italy, I could understand most of what they were saying. I can't tell you how. But that is what I want to say. WOW......... I did remember........ I heard my grandmother in so many of those people........... the body language of course...........the hands, the motions, and the intonations. I understood, but could not respond too well, in the language.
I made sure I ate every last thing that I grew up on, to see if it was like Grandmas, or Moms.
The whole entire time, I journaled to my mother. Every meal, every cappuccino, every last bit of everything, I wrote down for her. I truly wanted her to feel as if she were there with me.
I was so bewildered at my unexpected feelings, just by being there.......... I had wished, both she, and my sister were there with me, to delight in what we feel so whole hearted in, so passionate about, as Italian women!
It really doesn't stop at food either.
We are just a passionate culture that cannot seem to hide it, and even if we tried, it would seep out somehow............ it would have to............... it is so overwhelming, the love, the passion, and the need to be around food, people, wine, and laughter.
To cook for someone is like being in church to me............ church...............whatever you want to call it. It is as sacred as sacred could be to me.
It is how I am today.
I'm not on 6th street hootin and hollerin.............. I probably went to the grocery store, bought the essentials, and then some, and on the way home, plotted and planned what I could possibly make that would be excellent, creative, and beautiful...............
maybe not even creative, or, beautiful, (although, I do have to admit, that even though it is just me, for the most part, I go out of my way to make it look just how I would make it look for you, or whoever is coming to my house to eat).
I am so grateful for passions, what makes us happy, and feeling whole!
This, to some, may sound boring, or exhausting, or what have you.
To me, it is the thread of life..............
I am ever so grateful for the know how. Thank you my sweet beloved Mother. All we talked about was food, and recipes, and how to, and what could we make, or create............. shoot, even if she ordered Chinese take out, she would describe every last flavor, and why she loved it so.
I have been blessed...............truly, I have!
If for some reason, I get to cook for you, know that it is nothing other than a sacred act of love, that courses through my veins, like nothing other, with a history that even I, cannot comprehend.
All I know, is the feeling I get, the euphoria that takes over, and the utterly, sweet, sweet joy of being able to hand you a plate of food, made in total love.................
To boot, if you wind up liking it? I have made love to your soul!
Sorry to sound so............. whatever, but this is.................... passion ...........at it's best!
This is......... my heritage.............. this is................ who I am............and............what I love!
Allow myself to share a bit of this, with you..................
P.S. Oh, and when in doubt................Salt...........Pepper...............Garlic!!!
That is all you really need to know.............
All my love to you,
Gabriela
~


No comments:

Post a Comment