Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SWEET 16

Well, I was reminded in an email I received from my Uncle, about sweet 16. He said he didn't remember it at all, but for us girls, sweet 16 was the ship on the ocean!!

He didn't think that I would even remember, but man, that was like yesterday, and so many things stand out.

Of course we didn't have much money, and my mom just hated that, because she always wanted to give me what I wanted, AND what all of the other kids had, or were doing.

At that time, for some reason, it meant a lot to me to have a school jacket. Usually every one sported our letters from school, but I didn't care, I just wanted the jacket. I  knew we didn't have money, and even that my mom did that blew me away, but she did throw me a sweet 16 party, with all of  my closest friends. She made all kinds of appetizers, had food galore, took pictures, I opened the coolest presents, and most of all, for me, I was sitting in a room filled with people who I  loved and adored, I could care less about the gifts.

My best friend Pam handed me a box, and when I opened it, it was my school jacket, minus the lettering. I was so excited at the fact that I would even be able to wear a school jacket, cuz that was kind of outa my league. We just didn't have it. And I knew in my heart that my mom was so excited to be able to get that for me. Goofy me, is getting all sentimental and crying as I write because no matter the circumstances, my mom always tried to give me the best, to be able to fit in, to be "hip" and to not feel left out, even though we didn't have much money. I know that all of my friends were looking at me like," Hay, no big deal, so you got a jacket, but where are the letters?"

If I could have held off an army I would have, that is how protective I was in knowing that my mother did all that she could, just to get the green and white jacket to me. uhhh, yes, I am a mess right now. 16 was poignant, not just because it is "supposed to be celebrated", but because my mother over extended herself when, again, she just didn't have it!

I have pictures of me at my birthday.........looking oh so white. I was over excited and got sick............hahahha. But nevertheless, I had a great time with my friends, and my mom was in the corner looking so happy and proud.

As for you Uncle Dick, those memories were like yesterday, and if I could go back in time, I would! I don't think any girl would forget her Sweet 16.

I haven't!

If I can find pictures, I will post, for sure!

P.S. Thanks to Face book, I have gotten in touch with all of my friends who attended that day, all except my best friend Theresa Meyer. May she be resting somewhere peaceful, away from all of the troubles she had growing up. My heart is always with you T. I love you!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment