Sunday, June 7, 2009

THE ART OF DOING NOTHING

OK, so I really do want to know who wrote that book, because I am sure they were left a grand sum of money by someone, that allowed them to soak in that bath tub for hours on end, night after night, and to make it to the beach everyday, lying there in the sand, twiddling their toes. What grandparent died, and how much did they leave ya, cuz my bathtub hasn't seen bubbles since the last time I had a wild champagne party.

Kidding.

Sounded good though.

All kidding aside, I do know what it is like to DO NOTHING and totally enjoy it, but I will tell you it is like fighting a wild tiger to finally get to DO NOTHING.

I am beginning to adhere to the saying, "money talks", because money bides time, or allows time, and really, gives you a ton of freedoms that you otherwise would not have, if it weren't for that almighty green piece of paper with ugly men on them. Where were the Mrs? How bout a together picture every once in awhile? Men, taking up the spot light again. Go figure! I'd probably save my dollars more if Mrs. Franklin made her way "out of the kitchen", ahem!!

How do families do it? Or should I say single moms or single dads? At least with a couple, they have shared duties and you split stuff up, but man oh, man, how does one have enough hours in the day to accomplish all that you desire, all that you plan for, and eat? Sitting down would be nice.

Unless you are Oprah and you stay up till 4 am reading the book you are promoting the next day.

I love doing the nothing that happens when you DO HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO, and you say, "what the hey" anyway, and you take the time to breathe and to inhale a new breath to actually get you through to the next thing you have on your list. I need those breaks.

It is such a balancing act to put all your cards out on your table, figure what you need, how your gonna get it, and start juggling.

I think to just stay currant on all of those things, putting it out there, and relaxing into a plan sounds meaty, something that works, without great strain, or setting yourself up for failure.

When you do give yourself permission to do nothing, it allows you to fill your empty cup, with new ideas, new inspiration, and a more objective perspective.

So, even in the times that we think we don't have time, I think that just may be the best time to do what seems unnatural in that moment, which is, to do............nothing!

Fill your cup guys. I'm going, doing, undoing, learning, unlearning, doing everything, and nothing.

Don't let the pendulum swing too far where it gives you a swift kick in the butt........... try to balance........ I have too many bruises from swinging on that pendulum......... I never was good at see/saw. I always wanted to go super high, but when it came time for me to just slightly touch bottom, I always came crashing down and probably distorted my tail bone or somethin'.
Easy does it. Up slow, down slow, and maybe every once in awhile, kick it in high gear near the middle just to shake things up a bit.

And in all of this, make it fun.......... cuz whether we are doing nothing or every thing under the sun, it would be nice to know, at the end of our journey, that we worked hard and laughed our asses off for all of those damn wrinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment